Saturday, June 28, 2008

Your input would be appreciated

Take a moment and let me know what you do for your training.  Do you just go out and ride? Do you do intervals?  Up to this point, I have just hopped and logged time and miles. I'm looking to see if there are more effective ways to train on the bike.

Today I tried something different.  I read in bicycling magazine about hill attacks.  I modified it slightly to fit me.  I rode from my home to Squaw peak road.  As I climbed I would sprint up the road for 30 seconds as hard as I could.  I would then recover for 1 min., 30 seconds--recovery would be climbing 7-8 mph which is the normal speed I climb squaw peak.  After 4 repeats, I would take it easy for a couple of minutes and then do another set.  I did this most of the way up Squaw Peak.  I felt that this helped intensify my workout on a shorter ride.


On the way back down the canyon, Timpanogos Cyclery was having a demo day.  I couldn't resist stopping and taking a bike for a spin even though there was a chance my wife would be waiting on the porch ready to kill me for taking so long.  I took a spin on the specialized roubaix with the Zertz inserts.  The bike was equiped with SRAM rival group.  I'll be brief - The bike was very comfortable, almost too comfortable.  I'm used to a bike that is very stiff and responsive.  The roubaix would make a great century bike.  I was most impressed with the Rival group.  It shifted with exactness.  I loved the fact that you could pull the shifting lever in close to the handlebar (if that doesn't make sense, go check it out at your local bike shop and you will understand).   Max from Timp Cyclery, who just returned from Iraq, was friendly and very helpful.  

No comments: