Saturday, June 7, 2008

Squaw Peak - Saturday


I rode from my home to the parking lot at the top of Squaw Peak.  

The river parkway had tons of traffic as to be expected.  The weather was perfect with the morning clouds having just cleared out.  I took it easy going up the parkway knowing that Squaw Peak was coming up.

I passed a bunch of roadies coming down the road.  I actually went up squaw peak faster than I normally do.  This was mainly because of a couple of Mountain bikers who were making good time going up the road.  I chased them down and my pride/ego wouldn't allow me to slow down so that I could stay ahead.  Usually on squaw I sit most of the way grinding my way to the top.  Today I stood for quite a bit.  My heart rate was higher than normal, obviously, but I felt really good.

On the way down I got behind an old man driving that had his ATV on a trailer.  He was extremely slow.  I was going to pass him, but he would wander from side to side on the road.  He, of course, was oblivious to the fact that I was behind him. He nearly hit a truck of DH bikers coming up the road.  

One of my favorite ride foods is the honey stinger gels.  I just bought a pack of their ginsting gels.  I have to say, the flavor is nowhere as good as the regular honeystingers.  I also tried the citrus fruit nuun.  It had a good flavor and didn't upset my plumbing system.

Three rides this week and one day in the gym.  I would have liked one more day in the gym, but I am real happy about the rides--2 alpine loops and squaw peak.

2 comments:

KanyonKris said...

You're rockin' the local climbs - good work.

Miles: said...

Thanks - Road w/ Todd today who says that he used to work w/ you.

Maybe someday I can keep up with you guys.

Miles