Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Review of the Camelback Podium Bottle

While this bottle didn't get me on the podium, there are plenty of "pros" to this bottle and very few "cons".  I have used the bottle for over two weeks now including the high uintas classic last Saturday.

Pros:
  1. Leak proof.  The bottle is leak proof.  By turning the base of the bite valve 90 degrees, you lock it shut.  I found that you can do this one handed.  Leaky water bottles tick me off--I hate having my electrolyte drink spill all over my frame.
  2. Taste.  My initial impression was, how can a plastic bottle not taste like plastic?  As the weather has heated up into the 90's, my other water bottles have infused their "plastic taste" into my drinks/water.  The camelback bottle however does not.  
  3. Bite Valve.  Unlike a normal water bottle, you don't have to bite and pull the valve open to drink.  The camelback has a valve that is unlike any other.  My best description is it burps open as you squeeze the bottle.  Even without rotating the vale 90 degrees, the "burp" valve does a really good job holding in the drinks.

Cons
1. Price.  Compared to picking up free water bottles at events, paying any money seems steep. I paid $7-$9 for my bottles.  

Recommendation
I initially bought a clear 20 oz. bottle.  This bottle heated up my drink very quickly.  I then bought a 24 oz. gray bottle.  Eliminating the greenhouse effect helped keep my beverage cooler a little longer.

On a side note, I worked out at the gym today. It felt good to sweat again as I have taken it easy since Saturday.  I am planning a ride for tomorrow (Wed.) around lunchtime.  It will be hot, but I need to work on riding in the heat.  I have a lot of training to do before the tour of park city on August 2.  

My wife bought me a new belt as all of my old ones were too big.  This one is almost too small but will serve as a gauge of my waist line.  Right now I'm at the biggest notch in the belt.  If I start porking up, this belt won't fit anymore and should be a message to me to get back to work and slim down.  

1 comment:

KanyonKris said...

Thanks for the review. That's all the info I needed to hear. I order 2 bottles today - silver / red to match my bike.