Monday, November 9, 2009

Dragon's Back BST

The incredible weather has made me feel like I need to get out and ride as much as possible. I think that is why I was so upset with being on the jury Wed.

Jury Duty Results
I was chosen to be on the Jury of a DUI case. Did you know that in the state of Utah, according to the law, if you are intoxicated and have the ability to exercise your domain, start a car and drive off, that's a DUI? You don't even have to drive the car. Anyways, after one very long day, the jury found the defendant guilty of a DUI. We later found out that he had multiple DUI's and this one compounded the charges to a felony. The jury deliberated for over 2 hours. We had one old lady on the jury who would talk herself in circles. Another young lady admittedly liked getting smashed and was reluctant to find the defendant guilty.

I groan, moan, and complain like one of my kids, but the experience was interesting and educational. It was a major inconvenience to drop everything and serve on the jury, but I believe everyone should have the opportunity. I do believe that it is a privilege to serve and can't imagine a justice system without a trial-by-jury.

I wondered if the judge was working on his "movember" stache? Judge Taylor shown below.


If you ever get called to serve on a jury, in my opinion, here is what to do to get off the jury or not selected:
  • You don't need to lie, but express your opinions. Even if they are not directly related to the questions make your voice heard.
  • The worst thing to do is to sit there and be quiet. The eight members of my jury were all the ones who were quiet and didn't voice any opinions.
Dragon's Back Lunch meeting - Thursday
Even though I went to the gym on Thurs morning, I still wanted/needed to go out for a lunch ride with the invite came from SouthCountyCiclista. The group left from Omniture. I joined in at the firing range. The route was BST Water tank road, to Dragons Back, climb Squaw Peak and descent to the Indian Hills Park. Some of the sections were new to me and enjoyable. I took some video and need to edit it down.

If you can see the blue spec behind Nick's bicep, that's me climbing up Squaw on my rigid SS.



Saturday on the BST
Saturday morning ride was from home along BST Orem to Water Tank Road, to Dragons Back, Squaw Peak climb, Indian Hills Descent, Mt. Timpanogos Park climb up through the race course, Water Tank Road, Bettys, Lament, Area 51, Dry Canyon and return home. Kind of a wandering, criss-cross route.

I took out the trek liquid which weighs over 30, but has full suspension and some reasonable travel. At first, it felt like I was riding a midget bike with the 26" tires--I'm used to the 29er. The hydraulic hayes brakes on my liquid are a huge improvement over the mechanical avid's on my SS.



No comments: