Sunday, September 28, 2008

The effects of altitude

On Saturday, an old friend came by.  He was visiting from Houston.  We decided to do an easy mountain bike ride.  I put him on my hardtail and I rode my SS up south fork/big springs hollow. My friend is in excellent shape.  He regularly runs and bikes but he does it at 20 ft. above see level--not 6,000 ft. above.  As we started up the trail, he decided that he needed to keep pace with my single speed.  Shortly thereafter, he was bent over sucking wind.  He struggled, but made it the whole way. 

It made me think about leadville 100 - Does the elevation starting at 10,200' hit you that hard?  I know that the alpine loop reaches over 8,000', but is that sufficient altitude training?  BTW, leadville will be on August 15, 2009.  Entries must be in by Jan. 31 (Zach - put it on your calendar).