Wednesday, September 24, 2008

SS on the brain

I've had my new 29er single speed for less than a week now.  I have made a ride on it everyday (except sunday) and am absolutely loving it.  I'm still learning and conditioning myself to more effectively ride, but I love the challenge.  The SS forces me to push myself and do the rides at a faster speed.  The ride on 29's is different--I feel like I carry momentum over obstacles better than the 26's.  

Yesterday I rode the same route that Kanyon Kris outlined--Water tank road/BST, to Betty's, left at the altar to Betty's lament, down Dry Canyon, and back to the Water tank's on the BST.  What a great ride.  I admit, I had a couple of spots where I had to dismount and push.  Maybe next time I'll carry better speed and make it up those spots. 

I keep debating whether to stick with a rigid fork or find a shock.  The more I ride, the more I'm leaning towards sticking with the rigid.  My only complaint with my bike so far is the massive creaking when I stand and pedal.  The chain ring bolts were loose, and I thought that would solve the problem, but it didn't.  I'm trying to eliminate all possible culprits, i.e. pedals, chainring, cranks, etc. before tearing into the BB.

While all I think about is my next ride on the SS, I want to ride the alpine loop a few more times with this perfect riding weather.  


2 comments:

KanyonKris said...

The noise is probably from the BB, but good to check all other possibilities first. I had a noisy BB and finally fixed it with copper grease. The grease has small particles of copper in it that deform when squeezed to keep the parts from making noise. I have some if you need it.

Pitcherpost said...

Nice 29er. Sounds like fun. I just got back on Sat. from Iowa for an interview; I guess little by little I'll start going west. One day I'll have a 29er, they sound like lots of fun. I wish I could have one out here in Pittsburgh where most of the riding has huge log piles.