Sunday, September 21, 2008

My new ride

Friday, my new (used) bike showed up.  I bought a used Redline monocog 29er.  I decided to see what this singlespeed 29er sub-culture is all about.  As you can see in the picture, it is a fully rigid frame, and yes, that is a pink chain.  I am secure enough in my manliness to have a pink chain.  This is by no means a top of the line bike--compared to my other bikes, this is quite inexpensive.  I'm sure that if I love the SS 29er movement, I will upgrade to a niner bike or something along those lines.

I took the bike out for a ride on Saturday.  I rode 
from my home up to dry canyon parking lot, across the BST to water tank's and up into Provo canyon.  I had a really good time.  It was hard and challenging.  I liked the feel of the 29 wheels.  I felt like I had a total body workout after my ride--my abs, arms, and back muscles were sore.  I have a greater appreciation of what a front shock truly absorbs after riding this rigid fork.  I am seriously considering getting something a little more forgiving.
The bike has what I consider some fat tires-WTB 2.3's.  The brakes are avid mechanical's (I would prefer some juicy's.  The gear set up is 32 x 20.  

I'm itching to get out for another ride on Monday.  

On a side note, my wife blew a gasket when she found out I shaved my legs for LOTOJA.  She had forbade me to shave my legs.  We'll, two weeks after the fact, she finally noticed.  As I said before, I am secure in my manliness.






3 comments:

UtRider said...

We should plan a ride up Millcreek on the singles. Maybe we can invite Kris and tag team him with the 1-gears!

KanyonKris said...

I'm on to your plotting!

2SPINOUT said...

This bike really looks great … and somehow painful. But therefore it must be pure fun riding it.