Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gel Bot Review

I tried the Gel Bot on the first 25 miles of LOTOJA.  Here are my thoughts.

The concept is a good concept--A bottle that holds/dispenses water and gel. I paid $15.99 for the bottle at Mad Dog.  It was pretty simple to fill the gel dispenser.

What I liked about the bottle:
  • I'm still trying to think of something nice to say.
What I didn't like:
  • The bottle quickly transfered a plastic taste to my water.  Take a cue from Camelbak and use a better plastic.
  • In order to get the gel out, you have to squeeze and suck on the bottle. The gel does not come out easily--you have to suck hard.  I have a hard enough time breathing while I ride. Sucking makes it even harder to breathe.  Gel Bot needs to modify or redesign the valve that holds the gel in.  
  • I put honeystingers in the gel part.  I assume this would hold true for any gel, but in cold weather and with the cold water in the bottle, the gels thicken up and make it even harder to get it out.
  • FYI, the bottle is not dishwasher safe.  My bottle now has a serious deformity.  
In summary, the concept is good, the execution needs some work.  I would save your money or buy a camelback podium bottle.

I did some time in the gym today. Nothing too heavy, but just enough to loosen up the legs from LOTOJA.  I had such a good time on LOTOJA, I'm already starting to look for my next big event.  My buddy suggested the death valley marathon in February.  I'd rather find a biking event.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

No comments: