Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Product Review: Specialized Defroster MTB shoes

I picked up a pair of defroster's from Timp Cyclery. They had to order them in, but it took only 2 days for them to arrive. I looked at some Lake, Sidi, and Garneau winter shoes, but decided to try the specialized.

The sizing is in whole european sizes. A 43.5 would have been perfect, but I went with the 43 (I wear a 10.5 street shoe and 44 in Sidi's). I have been a sidi guy for years. This is the first time I have ventured away from my reliable sidi's. The defrosters are roomy especially around the toes. They would accommodate wider feet better than sidi's.

My initial impression with the shoe is that it was comfortable out of the box. I was concerned that the neoprene cuff above the ankle would rub and irritate my leg. Contrary to my concerns the cuff was comfortable. I have worn the shoes with thin low cut socks and some mid calf wool socks. Any which way, the shoes are comfortable.

My feet still feel the winter chill with the defrosters, but not nearly as bad as with my Sidi's w/shoe covers. Last week I rode during lunch in the snow--Temperature was around 19 degrees. My feet stayed dry and relatively warm.

Pros:
Comfortable and roomy
Most affordable of the quality winter shoes
Keep the feet dry - water resistant

Cons:
The entry into the shoe takes some effort (maybe I'm being a bit picky)
I would like to see a boa/ratchet closure vs. the velcro straps
Half sizes would be appreciated
Even though it is less expensive than the competition, it is still pricy at $180


There was another excellent lunch meeting today. 22 mile road ride. As Brandon put it, it was a motley crew - 3 roadies, 1 ss cross bike, and 1 full suspension mountain bike. I overdressed for the weather.

1 comment:

Pitcherpost said...

I still use my specialized mtn bike shoes and I love them. It'll be time for some new ones soon but I think that specialized makes some good gear, including their gloves. The BG (body geometry) fit that they advertise is pretty neat. My next shoes however, will be sidi's. Nice to know your toes won't turn to ice cubes on the cold rides anymore. How are they with moisture, do they keep out the water if it's raining or you ride through s bunch of puddles?