Saturday, August 7, 2010

Strawberry Ridge

Another early am ride w/ Brandon this morning. The route was up cottonwood creek, up 2nd water to the strawberry ridge trail. Northward to 5th water trail, and descending down back to the diamond fork parking lot.

Climbing cottonwood creek is one of the my favorite climbs. Although it is located in Utah County, it isn't the typical straight up the hill trail. Gradual rollers lead you up to Rays Valley Road.

With the recent rain, the trails were in near perfect condition on the climb. 2nd water trail, normally a dust path this time of year, was packed and good climbing.

Brandon at the top of 2nd water hooking into Strawberry Ridge.






The descent down 5th water was awesome. There were a few sections of Mud. Brandon, one of the best descenders I know and skilled bike handler, had a few trouble corners with the mud. His front wheel slid out not once, but twice.

There are plenty of cows in the area. Brandon chased a group of ten or so down the 5th water trail.


I will be returning in the near future to do some more riding. Next time, Brandon and I are going to figure out how to incorporate the Center Trail in the loop.

4 comments:

Daniel Zvirzdin said...

Miles, I had the same thought about the Center trail earlier this summer, here's the route I ended up taking: Fifth Water - Rays Valley - Second Water - Center - Upper Fifth Water - Strawberry Ridge - Second Water - Cottonwood Creek

It worked out to around 40 miles and 6000 ft of climbing. Riding the Center trail South to North made for no hike-a-bike sections (N-S would be hard to do without hiking at least in a couple of places). If you guys end up doing that ride or something like it you should send me an email, I love the Diamond Fork trails.

Rick Sunderlage said...

That's a rare pic of Brandon on the ground. The dude has mad downhill skills.

I can't wait to ride some of this stuff w/ you guys in the fall....it looks too good.

Miles: said...

Dan - shoot me your contact info and let's set up a ride. It would be great to have you along. atomicmiles at gmail

Rick - Hows the recovery coming along? What's the estimated time when you can start hitting trails again? I remember what happens when you and Brandon get together.

South County Ciclista said...

Great ride. Thanks, you are too kind. I my shoulders are a little sore now also. Two crashes on one ride on them is not good. What did the skid picture look like?