Wednesday, August 18, 2010

100% luck

I drive a mini cooper and often have my bike(s) on top. Mini car, big bike.

Usually, I park the car outside. Today, as I was running some of the kids around, I thought I'll park in my wife's spot in the garage. As I drove in, SMACK!!!!!!!! I had forgot that my road bike was on top of the mini. Big time sinking feeling in my stomach. As I got out of the car, I saw this mark on the garage entrance.

I then saw that the bike was still on the car. I did a quick check over the bike. Handlebars-in one piece, no sign of damage. Front fork and headset--fine. I hurried and pulled the bike off the car and saw the saddle.


The nose of the saddle had just cleared the entrance of the garage. Scuffs on the saddle were the only damage. Boy, did I get lucky.

There was a bit of minor damage to the bike rack on the car. One of the q clips was bent. A rubber mallet quickly fixed that.

The first time I went by Keith's home, I immediately saw the damage in his stucco above his garage. I now have the bike tattoo on my house (not as severe as Keith's)

On a side note, I'm taking the kids to the Tour of Utah tomorrow. We'll be camped out at the start of the final climb up Nebo. I won't be dressed up in a gilly suit, beard, or dress. Just plain fans.

5 comments:

kajohnson said...

Lucky on the bike. Tracen just totally ruined his road bike and had to buy a new one!

ER Dad said...

Been there done that except much more damage to the car. I now take my saddle and post off whenever I transport it on top. Less drag and clears most any garage.

KanyonKris said...

You lucked out.

After years of close calls with roof racks we went hitch rack, so much better. Can you put a receiver on a min?

Zachary said...

Yikes, I would have barfed a little in my mouth.

Carson said...

Didn't damage the garage or bike (Arantix) but broke the rack. Don't you love that feeling in your stomach?