Monday, March 1, 2010

Hot wheels

Have you seen the show American Pickers and Pawn Stars on history channel? Two fun shows about negotiating and finding deals. Maybe it is because I'm from Ogden, but I enjoy perusing the classifieds looking for deals.

Over the weekend I found a wheelset that I wanted for an excellent price. When I called on the wheelset, the seller told me they were selling for her brother because he didn't have any time. In asking questions about the product, a guy with a smoker voice in the background kept barking out answers about the wheelset. Even though I had to drive to Magna to look at the wheelset, I really wanted the wheels. The background talker gave instructions for us to meet at the McDonalds in Magna. There wasn't anything extremely out of the ordinary, but every bit of this transaction was a little off or strange.

I met these people at McDonalds. Now, I have bought plenty of bike parts from the classifieds and without fail, anyone who was selling high end bike components always looked the part--they looked like they would be someone with a high bike or parts. Not these two. One individual was about 4 ft and change tall by 4 ft and change wide. Both sounded like they were on the 5 pack of cigs per day program. Nonetheless, they had the wheels that were new in the box.

Negotiating is one of my favorite parts of buying from the classifieds. I made my initial offer to them and waited for them to respond. Those moments of silence in negotiating are unbearable for some people - The rule is, he who first speaks loses. Surprisingly, these two fine specimens were more than willing to negotiate--especially when they saw the color of the cash. They were also jumpier than jackrabbits. As soon as that cash was in their hands, they were in their truck flying out of the parking lot. I didn't realize a 1980's ford ranger had that much pick up and go.

I don't know and will never know for sure, but I am guessing these are some stolen wheels.

1 comment:

Grizzly Adam said...

Yeah I think those are mine.