Sunday, March 7, 2010

Red Rock Rampage ICUP

The weekend was filled with a bunch of "firsts". I had my first ride on the new wheelset that were built at racers--Stan's crest rims laced to Chris King SS Hubs. This was the first time I had been on conti race king tires. Overall, I was thrilled with the new wheelset and how they performed. Bike weighed in right at 20 lbs. Sub 20 if I took off the bottle cage.


I have never done a mtb race before. I wasn't sure what to expect. All I wanted to do is not embarrass myself. I rode in the sport 35-39 division (on my single speed). Once again, I wasn't sure if I should be in this category or in the beginner category.


Coach Dan showing off his niner. It's hard to see in this pic, but there are two letters scattered around on this bike--XX. Note his SLR saddle that has had the cover, and what little padding stripped off. The socks are nice too.

Pro start.
Pro category start. From the start line, it is a dirt road and is an all out sprint. I sprinted the best I could, but on my single speed, I was spinning out. I had debated what gearing to run and ended going with the 32 x 19. My first lap I was happy to have the 19. Second lap, I was wishing for a 20.


While this looks like I'm getting smoked on the start here, this is coming through the feed zone at the start of the second lap.

This kid found his own fun. I wonder if his parents knew.

A few of the lunch meeting crowd. Kenny won the SS division, Rick took 2nd and Kyle 4th in the same division. The UC was well represented especially Racers and Mad Dog.

Here are my observations or things I need to learn from the first ICUP:
  • I need to be more aggressive in passing people. There were two washes in the race course and it was hard to pass in these washes. I got stuck behind some slow people in the washes from earlier divisions which allowed the leaders to get a large gap.
  • Hydrate better. I was near cramping on the second lap.
  • It felt good to "empty the tank". I gave it a solid effort and couldn't have dug down much deeper.
  • Riding a single speed in the sport division has its positives and negatives. I'm happy to say that the only time I was passed by anyone in my division was when I was spinning out on the flats or the downhill.
  • 65 degrees and red dirt never felt better
  • I finished 11th in my group. I don't know how many were in the group. I am happy with the result but in no way satisfied.
  • My son came with me and we had a great time together.

10 comments:

Rick Sunderlage said...

Nice race Miles. I wish I could say my first MTB race was on a SS. Impressive.

kajohnson said...

Nice Job! Where was the race?

bjchild said...

Nice job Miles. You're motivating me to want to get out there and give MTB racing a go.

Miles: said...

Rick - congrats to you on your podium. Thanks for letting me tag along on the lunch rides

Kajohnson - the race was in St. George. Great weather and fun.

bjchild - It's almost time to resume the lunch rides up on the BST.

Aaron said...

Impressive first race. My first race was also the Desert Rampage, sport division. I was nowhere near 11th. Triple that, maybe.

melanie said...

I was so surprised how good the people in the sport division are... to get 11th is really good. All this talk of red rocks and warm weather makes me want to go to Moab... Ahhhhhh Moab.
Zach

South County Ciclista said...

Nice job Miles. The new bike looks good.

Grizzly Adam said...

You'll be standing on the podium soon enough. Just remember us little folks when you get there.

My first race I was DFL. Not much has changed.

KanyonKris said...

Well done Miles!

Dan said...

nice work in the race. I stole some of your pictures. some of us need 20-27 gears to do what you manage with only one...way to go