Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Interview with a Professional Cyclist

I often think of questions I would like to ask if I sat down to interview a professional cyclist. A few years ago, I had Levi Leipheimer blow past me on the alpine loop, but I didn't get to ask any of my questions. These are the questions I would ask of a local pro racer, continental racer, or a top level professional.

Here is my list in no particular order:
  1. As far as I read in the media, nobody every talks about their pay. How much do you get paid to race? Do you do additional work/business on the side to help cover your expenses? What role do your sponsors play in your finances?
  2. Obviously, you can't race at the top level your whole life. What are your career plans once you can't compete anymore? How do you know when it will be time to retire or scale back the racing?
  3. Would you rather be wealthy with a high paying traditional job and compete in local races as an amateur racer, or be a top level cyclist? Why?
  4. What is the best thing about being a professional cyclist and why? What is the worst and why?
  5. What is the greatest success or highlight of your cycling career? What is your biggest dissapointment or regret?
  6. Outside of cycling, what is your passion?
  7. Are you married? If yes, how well does married life and professional cycling mix?
  8. What kind of bike would you ride if you had your own choice (you can't choose your sponsors bike)?
  9. What are your goals for this cycling season?
  10. I won't ask if you have ever doped, but have you been approached or seen others dope? How big a problem is doping at your level?

There are only a few who read my blog, but if any professional racers want to answer my questions, I would be very interested and grateful. Nonetheless, I have my list to ask Levi next time he passes me on the Alpine Loop. :)

Open Invitation to Bart Gillespie, Alex Grant, Jeff Kerkove, Dave Wiens, Sonya Looney, Dave Zabriskie, George Hincapie, Levi, Lance, or any other professional.

What other questions would you want to ask a professional cyclist?

2 comments:

Pitcherpost said...

Yea, maybe someday we'll find out. Race hard, have fun, make money doing something else cause we're slower than the slowest pro's. It's still a lot of fun though.

Zach

Pitcherpost said...

If I got paid by the hour for how much I looked at bikes, rode bikes, thought about bikes, or dreamed about bikes; I'd be rich instead of still in school. I guess that I could be a professional bike lover. It's sad that currently that my love of bikes doesn't translate into very much riding.