Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Product Review: Castelli Radiation Jacket

So I picked up one of these Castelli Radiation Jackets. Supposedly the jack reflects back 80% of your body heat and still remains breathable. The removable inside liner is removable and looks like its made out of an emergency blanket.
I've made a few rides with the jacket and here are my thoughts:

Pros: The jacket is windproof and does keep you warm. I had to open the vents on the front. The vents are easy to access and effective. The removable hoodie was nice, but did not work as well as some of the other caps I have worn. The jacket is form fitting and didn't feel bulky in the least bit. I wear a large and it was just a little loose. I also liked the addition of a small pocket over the right hip. It is perfect for a camera or phone and easily accessible.

Cons: The biggest con is the price. I found mine on bonktown at a severe discount, but it still was some coin. The other problem, I believe easily remedied, is the space blanket material against bare skin. I did not like the feeling of the space blanket on my bare arms. I will wear a long sleeve baselayer in the future and I believe this will be a non issue. I only had one choice of color, the glowing yellow/green -- would have preferred red or black.


My goal is to ride through the winter. I think this jacket will make it possible. Next, I need to find some better shoe covers to keep my toes from freezing.





1 comment:

Pitcherpost said...

Soooo, you prefer to wear it with the silver on the outside??? I thought so.

Zach