Sunday, October 11, 2009

CX Newbie

Saturday was my first cyclocross race at the weber county fairgrounds in the "c" (beginner) flight. Combined with the 55+ masters, the group was 45-50 riders. The weather was perfect--a few minutes right before the start, the sun came out and warmed everything up.

I arrived early enough to scope out the course. It ended up that there were 3 obstacles. One of which could be riden over, but I dismounted everytime. One set of obstacles was on a short hill/run up.

I had heard that cross is an all out effort - no holding back. I quickly found that to be true. My heart rate was pegged to nearly to my max for the whole ride. The picture below not only shows the circuit, but the color represents my heart rate. The dark red sections are where my HR was at its highest.

My Scott CX was awesome. The only adjustment I'll make for future races is getting rid of the water bottle and cage. The race was competitive enough for me that I only took one swig of water through the whole race. Next time, I'll have my son hand me up a water bottle if I need it.

The tufo tubular clinchers were awesome. I was glad I put some stan's in the tubulars as the goatheads were very abundant around the course. I found several stuck in the souls of my shoes.

I watched a few minutes of the 35+ B and C's, and the 45+ A/B. I was especially impressed with the 45+ old guys. Below is a pic of the 35+ C coming over the first obstacle in the circuit.


I had a blast and am definately doing it again. I ended up 8th in the C flight. The atmosphere was relaxed and competitive. I'm contemplating if I should do the 35+ C race right after the "C", stick to the "C" flight, or only do the 35+ C??? I'll decide by Thursday.

My Dad came to stand with my two oldest kids. They thought it was pretty awesome. My oldest son told his Grandpa on the 3rd lap "my Dad doesn't look so good."

Since getting back home, my oldest son has been out in the back yard practicing his dismount and remount in preparation for next weeks race. We'll see if he actually does it. At a minimum, he'll come and ride the course with me to scope it out. My wife is generally supportive of my addictions, but with our son showing some interest, I definately have the green light.


2 comments:

kajohnson said...

Great Job Miles :)

Pitcherpost said...

Sounds like fun, good for you.