Tuesday, October 20, 2009

High School Cycling

Most anybody who reads my blog knows that I live in Utah, specifically Utah "Happy Valley" County. My kids are still young and just starting to transition from cul-de-sac rides to some trail riding. I started thinking towards the future and my kids and High School Sports. The chances are pretty good that my kids won't be the starting pitcher or quarterback, but maybe they could compete on their bikes. I believe that team development and competition is good for kids. As far as I know, there aren't any high school cycling competitions. Considering the awesome terrain we have in Utah, I'm shocked there aren't any high school teams.

I found some leagues in California, and an announcement of some leagues beginning in Colorado under Tom Danielson, Allison Dunlap, David Wiens, and Ned Overend's direction. The National Interscholastic Cycling Assocation has already been formed and has a goal of coast to coast competition by 2020.

Maybe someday......






If you want to read more, here is an article on NICA.

2 comments:

Zachary said...

If Weber had a bike team, I would have done it for sure. Maybe Utah county will get one in a few years.

Miles: said...

I agree. I would have done the Weber High team. I would think that even a county team would work to start out with. Utah County - SL County - Davis - Weber, etc.