Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tour of Utah / 300 Warriors Report





300 "civilians" were given the opportunity to ride the 4th stage of the Tour of Utah.  We were given a four hour head start over the professionals.  If you want to see the course, click here.  Here is the description of the stage. 

The Queen Stage of the Tour of Utah is a brute; 14,778 feet of climbing in 99 miles. Riders will see five KOM’s on their way to the finish at beautiful Snowbird Ski Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Along the way they will tackle the tough climb past Sundance ski resort, up and over the Alpine loop into American Fork Canyon.


Saturday, August 16th
Park City to Snowbird
Course: 
4 Climbs - Mountain Top Finish
Length: 
98.1 miles, 159 kms
Climbing: 
14,778 ft., 4,504 meters


I left right at 6 am with the first group out.  It was cold but I dressed appropriately.  Some toe warmers would be the only thing I would have next time.  We made good time out to Francis.  The group split up on the climb south of the Jordanelle.  I worked with smaller groups all the way through Midway and down Provo Canyon.  Over the Alpine Loop, I went slower than most--I knew I had to ride at a comfortable pace or I wouldn't have a chance of making the climb up snowbird.  I felt good over the loop and over suncrest.  I have never gone down the salt lake side of suncrest--wow was it fast.  I did ok to the mouth of little cottonwood canyon.  Some of the hills on Wasatch Blvd were annoying, they weren't extremely steep or long--they were annoying because Snowbird climb was coming up.  

I have never rode a bike up snowbird.  I knew it was steep, but holy cow, what a beast of a hill--especially after 93 miles.  It took me a while to drag myself to the top, but I did it.  I know your not supposed to use a MP3 player, but I had to turn on some tunes to get my mind off of the climb.  I was nowhere near the fastest, but I wasn't last.  

It was nice having my own support vehicle rather than relying on an aid station.  As a result, I ate well and had no problems with any cramps.  

I hurried and got down from Snowbird prior to the road closure.  I was at the mouth of the canyon when the professionals came flying by.  I was shocked how big the lead group was starting the snowbird hill climb.  I thought there would have been a small breakaway.

It was a tough but fun ride.  I thought it was awesome that 300 of us got the chance to ride in the Tour of Utah.  I was impressed with how many people were up little cottonwood to watch the professionals. 

No comments: