Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Scouting LOTOJA

I spent the weekend at Bear Lake at a family reunion.  We had an awesome time.

I took the opportunity to drive part of the LOTOJA course.  There are three major peaks on the course--Strawberry, Geneva, and Salt River Pass.  I didn't drive strawberry, but I did go up Geneva, and Salt River.  There isn't anything too steep, except at the summit's of Geneva and Salt River.  There is a section of Geneva that is under construction.  It looks questionable if it will be paved within the next three weeks--otherwise, it will be hard pack dirt road.  On the descent of Geneva, the shoulder of the road has a lot of gravel on it.  The final two miles of Salt River looks tough.  It is long and straight so you see it all in front of you.  The road then turns to the left and you still have more to go to the summit. Other than the summit's, the road is a gradual climb.  Any climb has a flat or downhill section immediately following it.

I went for a ride this morning and did the provo side of the alpine loop.  It was a beautiful morning and an enjoyable ride.  I am getting burned out on some of these long - 4+ hour rides.  I am looking forward to riding for fun again.  

I got a call yesterday from a friend who was going to be my support vehicle this Saturday.  He backed out on me.  Now I'm scrambling to find another support driver.

 

1 comment:

kajohnson said...

I could most likely help you out on Sat. Arie may have to ride shotgun. Let me know. KJ