Sunday, July 27, 2008

It was eventually going to happen

I took off my mavics and put my Reynolds on the bike. The weight savings was significant. My bike weighs 15.38 lbs including my garmin unit.

I wanted to see how these wheels climbed and descended. I took off for a long ride on Wednesday in the middle of the day. I left from my house and went up the alpine loop Provo side. The heat of the day was taking it out of me. I wanted to get in a big ride because I was driving to Seattle the next day.


As I was coming around the last sweeping right hand hairpin turn just above Sundance, I wrecked. I was taking it easy and not pushing the speed. As I was coming around the curve, a car was coming up and cutting in close to the inside of the turn. Being a bit startled, I jerked in towards the shoulder. Somehow in doing so, my bike slid out from under me and I was on the ground. I was no longer traveling in a nice arc, but I was now sliding in a straight line towards the car. The rear wheel of the car was coming right towards me. I thought I was going to get hit and I was sure my bike would be run over. Amazingly the car missed me and the bike. As I skidded to a stop in front of the barrier on the other side of the road, I jumped up, being juiced up on adrenaline. I took an assessment of the damage. My right but cheek was now hamburger. My right tricep was road rash. The chamois pad saved me from a lot more damage. The lady driving the SUV stopped and offered a ride to the bottom. I declined, straightened the crooked brake hood, hopped on my bike and started down the hill. A few things became very clear - Every spot that where I had road rash now stung as the cool wind hit them. My bike was functioning fine except for the ripped up bar tape--no big deal.

I road down to Timpanogos park showing off my bloodied cheeks to everyone that I passed. By the time I got to the park, I decided to stop the misery and have my friend pick me up and give me a ride home. The adrenaline had worn off and I was feeling the pain. The fun was only just beginning. Scrubbing out the dirt and gravel was an incredible experience. That night was one of the worst nights of sleep I had ever had. Any movement I made hurt.

The next day was the drive to Seattle. In summary, it was long, painful, and I had a ton of puss oozing through the gauze pads. Changing the dressings has been a joy, re-inflicting pain on myself over and over.

Seattle has been nice, but I am in doubt about the Tour of Park City on Aug. 2.

5 comments:

kajohnson said...

Nice road rash! That sucks big time. I'm glad that you are relatively ok. Glad that the bike is ok too. kj

Anonymous said...

ouch.

my butt hurts just looking at that.

KanyonKris said...

Dang, that looks nasty! I'm sure it didn't (doesn't) feel good either. I haven't gone down on the road bike yet, and I never do. But you're probably right, it's inevitable.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pitcherpost said...

Wow, I'm glad that your bike is ok, I was worried about it ;)
(I'm glad your ok too). Is there any way I could scrounge up a road bike for our Bear Lake trip? We'll talk.