Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ghetto Tubeless

I converted my monocog 29er to tubeless.  I took a 26" tube and used it as the liner for my 29er rims.  I used Stan's instead of bontrager super juice as the sealant.  The process was extremely easy and clean following the videos which I have posted below.  The real test will be if it continues to hold air and a see how it does on a few rides.  

Cost: 1 Quart Stan's sealant, $29 (it doesn't take a full quart - I just wanted extra)
26" tube (if you don't have one already) $3

I would have posted some pics, but these videos are better than any photos that I could take.  

Part 1

The video suggests a metal tire lever--my plastic ones worked just fine.

Part 2

3 comments:

UtRider said...

So I guess every time a tire is removed you would need to use a new tube to form the seal (since you cut the excess away after mounting)?

Let me know how it works out.

Miles: said...

Yes, I guess that is correct. I'm hoping I don't need to change tires very often.

KanyonKris said...

Looks slick, I may have to try that.