Monday, September 14, 2009

LOTOJA report

I wasn't sure how this years LOTOJA would go this year--I hadn't done all the preparation that I did last year. My goal was to finish in the 10 hour range.

A quick summary
  • It was warmer in Logan than last year
  • I hooked on with a good group from the start and rode with them through most of the race.
  • There was a headwind this year, however, the group I was with pushed through it.
  • I tried to improve my feedzone times this year. I did stop but I would try to quick swap bottles, grab more gels and head right back out. Last years time was 31 min of stop time, this year was 26 min. I guess musette bags are the only way to really cut out that stop time.
  • I was much slower going over the climb on Salt River, but I knew to ride within my limits.
  • The tail wind coming into Afton was a pleasant surprise.
  • From Afton to Alpine Junction, I was in the back of the pace line when some Skull Candy idiot riders lost a wheel, and my group that I had been riding with up to that point, continued down the road and I never saw them again. They finished 20 minutes faster than I did.
  • Out of Alpine, I joined some Cat racers and worked with them all the way to the finish. I knew I would be very close to meeting my goal. I felt horrible for one of the riders who flatted with 1 mile to the finish.
  • My finishing time was 10:58. I cut off over 30 min from my time last year. I'm very happy with the ride. No flats, no mechanical problems
Some closing observations
  • My parents were my support crew. I appreciate them taking the time and helping me with the race. It is a long day.
  • Honey Stinger Chews are awesome. I've been a fan of sport beans, but I have to say, the chews are better
  • I'll be wearing pants for the next few days as I work to scrub off this ridiculous lotoja stamp on my leg
  • Congrats to my neighbor Mark who finished LOTOJA this year. He hung with his friend Steve and made sure Steve finished even though it took them a long time. Mark easily could have matched my time.
  • It was great to ride with the group from Pleasant View.
  • I put on some new bar tape called gecko grips. I'm a fan.

2 comments:

Pitcherpost said...

You need to post a little more often bro. Congrats on the time, I can't wait to get riding out west again.

kajohnson said...

Great Job Miles!