Sunday, April 25, 2010

RAWROD TT - White Rim Moab




Friday was the Ride Around the White Rim in One Day, time trial version. 100 mile ride through arguably one of the most beautiful places in the world.

As a rookie to riding the White Rim, I was nervous about the ride--especially since it was a self supported ride. You have to carry everything you could need in your pack--Food, Water, Mechanical, etc. The weather was also a concern. It was supposed to rain starting around noon through the rest of the day.

A group of 9 of us left from the the highway at 8:30 am (Brad K., Rick S., Jesse, Carson, Brandon S., Aaron S., Grizzly Adam, Keith, and myself). I knew I was riding with a group of fast riders and just hoped that I could finish within a reasonable time.

From what I understand, we rode the rim counterclockwise, which is the non-traditional route. Aaron S. had his front tire wash out on the horse thief descent. He went down hard cracking his helmet, scratching his sunglasses, and hammering his leg. He hiked back up to Horsethief campground and we assumed he would catch a ride with someone back to the vehicles at the highway.

With this being a time trial, it was each person for themselves. No one was waiting for anyone else and our group had splintered already. While descending down hardscrabble, I got a small gash in my rear tire. I thought the stan's would seal it, so I filled back up with air, but in a short bit, I was flat again. I put in a tube and headed on my way. I knew that because of my delays I was now last of the group and would be riding solo for the remainder of the 75 miles.

From Hardscrabble to Murphy's, it was a bit unsettling. I was the last rider, I didn't see anyone else on the trail, and a storm was moving in. If I was to have a catastrophic mechanical or a wreck, I would be in real trouble.

Since I was last, I stopped at some of the overlooks to take some video. I found a nice rock seat at mile 50 and 75 and called it my feed zones.

Once I was past Murphys and one more pinch flat, I got in a good rhythm. The sun came out and I felt better about things.


Near the end of the ride, I came to a fork in the road - one way to the visitor center and one way to Moab. I wasn't sure which way to go, so I stopped a hummer and started looking at their map. They were shocked when I showed them on the map where I had started from that morning. As I was looking at the map, Aaron S. came blowing by on the road heading towards the visitor center. I was amazed that he had made the ride after the spill he took on horse thief. I took off after him trying to catch him. I was able to ride with him for a bit, but he pulled away on schafers.

Schafers--I just don't have the words to describe this climb out of the canyon to the top of the rim. It is unbelievable that a road can be built like schafers.

The pavement back to the vehicles was a pain and seemed like it went on for an eternity.

After the ride, the homemade bread, and brats from Kenny were perfect. Great experience that I'm already looking forward too for next year (it must have not hurt enough). I normally don't film myself, but since I was all alone in the middle of nowhere, I started talking to myself and filming myself.

Stats from the ride:
Distance: 100.83
Climb: 6,491 ft.
Total Time: 9:35 -- Avg Speed 10.5 mph
Actual Ride Time: 8:24 -- Avg Speed 12 mph


Some of the scenery from the ride.

8 comments:

KanyonKris said...

Nice video. Could you fix the audio so it's easier to hear what you're saying?

Funny thing, I was a bit stunned you chose to do the TT instead of the easier supported ride the next day. Then I remembered my first White Rim was unsupported. Gutsy to choose the TT.

Zachary said...

That was awesome, kind of sad, and a little hilarious. Way to go, I'm sure that there were a few moments of extreme worry while you were out there on your own.

Next year, I'll be there.

Keith said...

Nice job Miles. It was good having you with us, even if the group got all split up. I should send you my footage to edit together, then you'd have some of you riding and not just POV footage.

South County Ciclista said...

Execellent Video.

Aaron said...

That's not an easy way to log your first off-road century. Nice ride, and nice video.

Jason McGrew said...

Great Video and way to go..

Grizzly Adam said...

Nice video. Perfect music.
That section between Hardscrabble and Murphy's is the twilight zone of the WR - in either direction. It's a hard area to get into a rhythm, seems to last forever, and has a lot of subtle climbing in the direction we rode.

I'm ready to go back.

Zachary said...

Yea, perfect music and yes, I do think your hardcore for having done that. Especially under consideration that you were alone for the majority of the ride. Yikes, my mind would play tricks on me if I was out there alone for so long.